Welcome to my Blog

Read and Enjoy with Caution. God Bless.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

It Happened on Friday

Today I went to work at McCann with Sarah, this day had so much promise I was excited for every moment. First we started out the day, NOT working out, which isn't good! Sarah on Monday, we're gettin it in!! Then we got dressed after a wonderful night's sleep and headed to the trotro! We got to Circle finally and then we had to walk through this huge market across this bridge. It was so sad and depressing because I hadn't seen so much poverty since I'd last visited Nima. There was a mother who looked middle eastern... I'm not sure what she was exactly, but she had about 5 girls that were walking around the market following people trying to ask for money or food. I was very concerned because the eldest child couldn't be more than 12 and these little girls were scattered around the market talking to random people trying to hold people's hands, there were older men who would grab there shirts, and I couldn't help but to see something bad happening to them. I told one of my friends and he told me not to be concerned that's just how they feed. I still am thinking about them and I pray that nothing bad happens to them, because the mother just sat in one place and didn't even move. I'm sure she was just hoping that one of the girls would bring enough food to move throughout the family.

After this incident, we waited for a car to Korle Bu and it took a while. I just sat there, trying to wrap my finger about this commute to work that she has to do and I don't think I could do it everyday. 1) It's way too far for me to even be excited to go to my internship and 2) I couldn't handle seeing this type of poverty every morning.
The car finally arrived and we packed in, the driver was honking his horn trying to move people out of the station and driving through trotros, then all of a sudden he runs into this person who had been walking in front of us... the driver didn't even stop when he got to close, he just continued to let his car run into the gentleman; I was so shocked. The man walked to the drivers window and tried to open the door, I was for sure he would beat the man up. Had this happened in Portland, he would have drug that man out through the window and beat him up something vicious. A lot of people started yelling at the driver and they were speaking in Twi pretty much cursing him out. I could only look out of my window and sit shocked and in amazement that I had actually just witnessed that event.

We finally arrive at her work and Chill there and she shows me the ropes. I'm introduced to her boss and he pretty much gives me the intern run down of all the operations. She shows me this powerpoint about this MTN proposal they had recently turned in. It was interesting, 122 pages worth of interesting. I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing what other internships were like. We ended up leaving and headed straight to the Cultural Center on High Street. We just wanted to get in and get out. Boy these Ghanaians sure know how to give you a terrible headache!! I was successful and bought two cute purses, a necklace, and a nice little drum! I refuse to go shopping in that market without a buddy. After this experience we trotro'd our way home, since the taxi was tryin to charge us 15 cedis to get home. My initial reaction, "Yeah Prolly NOT.... um excuse me where's the trotros!" Seriously, I WAS NOT about to let another cab get over on me! We made it home, made nacho's and patiently waited for our custom tailored dresses to arrive, before we headed out to the play, the Sound of Music... Ghanaian Style!

After waiting 2 hours for the tailor, he finally arrived with our creations!! We were so pumped, so we quickly tried them on and then dashed out the door so we wouldn't be late for the opening of the play. Again, the taxi driver got over on us after we told him we were only paying him 9 cedis, I only had a $10 GH bill and he didn't have change, or so he made it seem like he didn't have change. We tossed him the bill and met up with our friends in the theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment