Welcome to my Blog

Read and Enjoy with Caution. God Bless.

Monday, July 26, 2010

Adinkra

Adinkra was first started in Ghana by the Akan peoples over 17 years ago. These symbols are used for many different concepts and have many different meanings that is still very prominent today. During my stay here in Ghana, I've noticed that these intricate symbols are mounted in every corner of this country: on statues, doors, in buildings, stamped on clothes etc.



The symbols are created by cutting the particular stamp out of a calabash gourd. The stamp is then dipped in dye, which is made from tree bark, and then pressed onto cloth to create the patterns. One symbol that is particularly important to Ghanaians is the Gye Nyame symbol, which is a symbol of the supremacy of God. It's meaning: "Except God", which means, "except for what God allows to happen" or "Unless God allows it to happen." Because I am a religious person I love this symbol a lot.



A lot of people have asked me if I got my tattoo of the Sankofa Heart which is just below my left shoulder and I am proud to say I got it back at home. I have always been in love with Ghanaian culture, and I am so blessed to have gotten this opportunity to travel to this country.

I'll say that my reason for getting this symbol on me is because I love the meaning: "Symbol of the wisdom of learning from the past to build for the future." I couldn't think of a better symbol to permanently mark on my body. Learning from your past and all the lessons that are supposed to be learned in life, is very important to me. If one does not learn or take the time to appreciate that things happen for a reason, then I don't think they are living and taking advantage of the life God gave them. ---> Pretty Deep, I know, but you only have [One Life to Live. Live], why not Live it up?




There are more than 50 symbols... take the time to study some :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment