Welcome to my Blog

Read and Enjoy with Caution. God Bless.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

FIFA World Cup- Ghana



I’m sure everyone knows by now that I am a strong supporter of Ghanaian football, which is clearly why I was rooting for the country when we played against the US. I feel as if, Ghanaian people think of the game more than just another football game. So many people back at home in the US were too confident that they had this game on lock. ‘Never underestimate the other team,’ I’d always say in response. I was talking with one of my co-workers and she was telling me that, football is such a poor sport. Meaning, it doesn’t take much to play the game, simply practice and a love for the game. You don’t need a soccer ball; most kids ball up old socks and kick it around. Some people use cans or even rocks. Barefoot, with shoes, whatever the case is, it’s a sport for the poor people and a game to pass the time. So you see? I don’t know any American who would ball up socks just to play a game of soccer instead of buying a soccer ball that costs about 20+ bucks. I never thought of soccer in this way, but it makes perfect sense, driving around this country, going on the field trips, nine times out of ten I’ve seen young kids playing this game and enjoying it so much. Yeah it’s a competitive sport, but it’s such an emotional sport, these people have a love for the game that is deeper than any win.

I was very happy when they beat the US. This was my first soccer match that I've watched on the television and as much as I thought i wouldn't enjoy it, i loved every moment of it. I actually felt excited and jumped out of my seat when Ghana would score. I could tell that they played a good game.

Now, on the otherhand, when Ghana played uruguay, I was so sad to see that awful loss. when that player got the red card for blocking the ball from going into the goalie with his hands, was such a sad thing to see. I couldnt' fathom what he was thinking at the time, but the thing that put me on edge was when Asamoah Gyan missed the penalty shot. I was so sad, i honestly thought I'd cry. Tough loss for the team, but i've been hearing over and over that they are such a young thing, so 2014 Ghana will be a force to reckon with. I'm excited for what's in store for this team.

No comments:

Post a Comment